Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Pirates Chest #1



Post 20

The Pirates Chest part 1


 Starting off yet another pallet wood build I first have to rip apart a bunch of pallets. Now I started doing this with no clear idea of what I was going to build at all. I got to the point of having a pile of pallet wood laying there and nothing to build with it. So I drank a beer and stared at the pile while listening to some music. This is when a song from Alestorm came on if you don't know Alestorm is a pirate themed metal band. As soon as I herd that music come on I knew what I was going to build a big Pirates chest.

Using my new Kreg Jig I just bought earlier that day I started Jointing together the planks to make the sides of the chest. I never tried doing this before so this was not only a test for me but pretty fun at the same time.


After all the sides were jointed together I then started to build the box. This part was pretty self expiatory cut on 45 degree angles on each corner and glued and nailed together. Problems arose when I realized cutting the 45s and then jointing the planks together was not the best way to go about this. The corners didn't line up the best. In fact it was far less then I wished I almost scraped the build from the way the corners came out but I figured screw it I can fix that later. I don't have any pictures of it but the bottom of the chest is tho only wood that is not reclaimed from the pallets. The bottom is a piece of 3/4 plywood that was left over from a different project.

Now it was onto the top. now this was the part I was most excited for I love to make round objects from wood. Again like the side I toke two planks of the pallets wood and jointed them together then figured out just how much of a round top I want. I looked up a bunch of pictures of pirates chests and decided I wanted to make a a full half radius. starting flush with one side and doing a full 180 to be flush with the other.


The slats were also a bit of a pain in the but to get right. Now I was sure on the formula to figure out the right angles and I had a few beers by this point so I didn't even want to try to figure it out. I just did it by trial and error. Got the angles really close and just went with it. I cut so many slats before I had enough to build the whole top but after cutting and cutting I had enough. and put them all together to make a nice round top.






At this time the box and lid were done and now was ready to be sanded and all the trim added.
Post #2 for the pirates chest soon to come. Stay Tuned.

Hope you enjoyed reading!
As I said before any post that fits for my carpentry blog and this one will be posted to both You can check out my Carpentry blog Here!

For more pictures and projects you can check out my website 

Also you can check out my terrible Video Game Blog
or my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/AmazingJayman 



Have a great day and thanks again for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment