Friday, January 6, 2017

Pallet Desk part 2


Post 19

Pallet Desk part 2


Part one of pallet desk post can be found Here!


As of this time the top of the desk is built and the pour on poly was drying. It was now time to build and attach the legs. Continuing with 100% reclaimed pallet construction I used the 2x4s that were the pallets cross beams. I took two of the 2x4s and glued them together for each leg. I wasn't to worried about any blemishes, cuts, nail holes or anything else mainly because I was really looking for a used battered look.


After all four of the legs were glued and dry I then decided I wanted them to at the very least take some stain nicely so I sanded them down so as to take off as much dirt and stains as I could. As you could see from the picture on the right the belt sander made easy work of this. most of the nail holes and other imperfection could still be see but now it was nice and clean. I cut then down to 27" long because the top was 1.5" thick save for the boarder. 


The boarded of around the top of the table was 3/4" thick and hung down 2" from the bottom of the main part of the top. Next I cut a 2" tall by 3/4" deep notch in two sides of the top of the legs.





The legs were then cut down to an overall length of 26.5". They fit very nicely onto the top and now the table sat at a very nice height of 28" tall.
I chose this height from the comfortable height I like while sitting in an office chair. I then screwed the legs onto the table straight through the face of the table boarded to keep with the rough built look.




It was then time for a coat of stain.
Keeping with the idea of wanting a nice steampunk desk for my PC I decided to use a very dark brown stain. Minwax Early American stain was a perfect color for the look I wanted.



The very last step was to router the edges. I am very partial to a colonial profile so without thinking I went with that bit. This was kind of an after thought so obviously these edges no were bare with no stain. I toke a step back and really loved the way it looked so I never restained them. the top edge I routered completely around the whole thing. However the bottom edge I started and stopped the profile 2" from each leg.


With that my new steampunk desk was done.
Built with 100% reclaimed pallet wood this desk is exactly what I wanted.

Hope you enjoyed reading!
As I said before any post that fits for my carpentry blog and this one will be posted to both You can check out my Carpentry blog Here!

For more pictures and projects you can check out my website 

Also you can check out my terrible Video Game Blog
or my YouTube channel www.youtube.com/AmazingJayman 



Have a great day and thanks again for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment