Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Lanterns of Tea continued!!!



        Post # 15



        Hello Ye Ol' Interwebs and welcome to post number 15 of my blog.

        So back in November of 2013 I started a new build and made a posted about it in my blog post Lighting The Lanterns of Tea! My tenth post on my "Steampunk Journey" blog. now this build never got very far nor has it been work on at all really since that post. In my last housing move I noticed the top to one of the lanterns sticking out of a box of random nick nacks. I pulled both of them out and rewired the lights seeing how they have somehow been pulled apart. With my newly found "I don't need a workshop to build things" attitude I began to fool around with them again.


        Where we left off with said Lanterns of Tea was not very much of anything done. The glass on the sides has been removed. With four holes one in each corner drilled through the bottom to allow for the red LED's to be installed and shine up into where the tea light candles would normally sit. and that is close to about the time I just stopped because No matter how much I tried no matter how many stores I went to I could not for the life of me find Rub N' Buff. With that being said the lanterns were put on the back burner.

       After a year and a half of being pushed aside and finally finding a store that sells Rub N' Buff The Lanterns of tea will finally get the love they deserve. I started by applying a coat of Rub N' Buff to the lanterns to give them a nice brassy look. In the picture to the left you can see the left lantern has a nice brass finish to it while the right still is completely silver. Looking back on it I think I should have put a brown base coat of paint first to give it more of an antique look but I like the way they cam out. I think they still have a nice shine and color to them.



         I continued working on them by taking this very thin plank of pine that I found a A.C. Moore and cutting out little trapezoid shaped pieces to fit the top holes of the lanterns. Put a nice coat of Minwax Jacobean stain on them to give them that dark old look and installed them.


      I then took the glass pieces that had originally been removed from the lanterns and used them to size up the cuts to be made in the metal mesh I found. Now this metal is an awful lot like the punched metal that would be found on your grandmas old pie cupboard door. I really loved the look of it so I bought it a while back and had it just sitting around for the right project. Thankfully it didn't get ruined or lost before I continued this project.
       
After cutting out metal mesh into pieces that would fit into the glass slots of the lanterns I installed them into the lanterns as you can see the big difference that mesh makes. I think it really gives it a pretty unique look.


Wish the Lanterns painted all brassy and nice, Wood pieces, And metal mesh installed. I was yet again at a stand still. I plan on wiring them up so that all the wires are hidden inside and out the top because I would really like to hang them. Also I need to figure out where to hang them and I also think I might put a few more LED's inside the top pointing down.
      As you can see from this picture of the lights off and the red LED's inside the lanterns on (even though this picture makes it look even worse) Though the LED's light up the lanterns it doesn't really have that creepy red glow effect I was looking for. I was really looking for an almost demonic red glow out of these so that I could put them on at night and have a really nice looking accent light in the living room. 
 

       



       Alright so that's about it for my Tea Light lanterns for now. Still not a completed project I know but hey they are a lot closer to being done than they were a year and a half ago. So....... points!?

       At any rate thats you for reading and hang around these lantern will hopefully be down within the coming weeks with some nice hangers fully wired up, maybe some more LED's. Don't know yet. If you enjoy the blog or any of my builds please give it a like through a few comments out there on them and press that follow button it will give me more motivation to keep it up. Thanks again and stay steamy!! That was dumb sorry.





No comments:

Post a Comment